I suggest doing this

In the centre of town this weekend I overheard someone giving a little advice to a couple of tourists. "I suggest to go to the Vatican Museums at about 2.00pm to avoid the queues". 

While the advice he was giving was perhaps good, the grammar he used was incorrect. There are different ways to use the verb suggest and it can be confusing for non native English speakers. So here's my advice on the easiest way to use suggest + another verb.
When using suggest followed by another verb, you must use the +ing form of the second verb. Here are a few examples of suggestions you could use when giving advice to tourists:

I suggest booking in advance and asking for a table outside.

To avoid disappointment, I suggest going before 12pm, as Sant Agostino, like many other churches, closes for lunch between 12.00 and 3.00.

I suggest getting there just before sunset, as the views and the light are fantastic. Better still, bring a bottle of prosecco and two paper cups and live for the moment!

I suggest buying your tickets online, as they're cheaper and that way you also avoid queuing on the day of your visit.

David suggests watching TV with subtitles to improve your English.

Finally there are other ways to use suggest + another verb (which you can find here) but to avoid confusion, I suggest doing what I've just mentioned. Buon lavoro :-)


Comments

  1. Thank you David for the suggestion!!! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. best peru tour companies Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I've only seen your post now. I'll be uploading a new post in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts